The Writers' Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kalamor City

Go down

Kalamor City Empty Kalamor City

Post  Johnstone McGuckian Wed May 04, 2011 10:02 pm

I started this years ago but I do keep coming back and adding a bit every now and again. The plan was to create a setting (Kalamor City) and write a number of short stories focusing on different aspects of life in this setting. Reading it back now, it's very I, Robot like.

I started with an 'essay' that examined the history of the city. I'll keep adding bits.

From an essay by Professor Earnest Jackige from the Earth government research bureau. Earth date 21488

The following is an essay exploring the infamous Kalamor city on the colony planet Gelthuris located in the Cetrix system. Originally founded by Zurich Kalamor in the Earth year 21328 Kalamor city is separated into two half’s. A bit like Bangkok on ancient Earth. One half of the city is a grand metropolis. Buildings such as the palace are located here. Zurich Kalamor himself designed the palace along with renowned architect Malory Nates. It is based on the neo deco era of Earth (date 20100 – 21050) which Nates was often influenced by. Other famous designs by Nates include the Parliament building of Miracle City and the Karojesh of Nintaki. Another important building is the headquarters of Neelx robotics. As we will explore later in this essay Eleder robots are an important part of Kalamor society. The proportion of people to robots in the city is almost 1:1.

Kalamor left Earth in the year 21328; he was a successful businessman and therefore was able to fund the colonisation project, rather unoriginally titled “Operation Kalamor”. His vision was to create his own kingdom. Something which he easily succeeded. Kalamor was a very influential man and he knew how to attract crowds. People listened to him and liked what he said. He built eight ships capable each of holding one thousand people plus another ship which would take terraforming equipment and food supplies. Kalamor easily managed to attract people from the lower classes so when he went to Gelthuris he had a willing workforce. For the first few years while they established themselves on the planet, the colonists lived in prefabricated dwellings which were automatically built on arrival. The terraforming process only took a number of days; the planet contained all suitable minerals and factors such as gravity and oxygen for the process to easily complete itself. The baron, rocky landscape was transformed into a series of lush forests and green fields. The following extract from Kalamor’s personal journal demonstrates how successful the process was.

"When we first arrived on this planet I almost thought that I had made a mistake, from my first sight I’d have called it impossible to terraform. However we soon began the process. We took shelter in the protection domes. After just three days our computers told us that the process of terraforming was complete and that we could venture outside. It was like stepping on to a whole new world yet again. What we had created reminded me of Ancient Earth from the images I had seen, before the development movement. We knew that this was now our home and this it was our job to cultivate the land."

It is often considered ironic that after this famous diary entry Kalamor went on to create the bustling metropolis that we see today. Seemingly destroying this “whole new world”. However Kalamor city was and still is in many ways a success. It took just three years to finish the city to its initial design; obviously other parts have been added in the years since.

Zurich Kalamor passed away in 21389. His son Eleder Kalamor II (named after his great grandfather) took over his father’s position of administrator just three years before. Eleder was an expert in robotics and was one of the co-founders of Eleder-Nulit Robotics. The other founder Thespry Nulit vanished mysteriously shortly after an argument with Eleder Kalamor II. Eleder had Nulit’s name removed from the company’s title. Leaving it as Eleder Robotics, a name which has lasted until the present day. There have been numerous rumours and accusations that Nulit was murdered by Kalamor however no proof has ever been produced.

The first thing that catches your eye as you approach the city is the Eleder robotics building. As the administrator Eleder Kalamor made sure that this building was as impressive as the palace. Rumours are that he designed it himself. Although while walking through the city you hear the occasional whisper that Eleder murdered the true architect so he could take the credit for himself. As you may have gathered there are many such rumours about Eleder Kalamor II, he had a lot more secrets than his father. There were even talks of revolution during his reign as administrator. He ran Kalamor City for the rich. Eleder was a greedy man, he abused his power. He was corrupt and under his reign the slum areas of Kalamor City were formed. The people that had once built the city were now suffering and starving.

The only good thing that Eleder did for the City was create the robotics business. With the inheritance from his father and the power he had through being the city administrator he could make his dream come true. Some people said that he was better acquainted with the robots than the people. In Kalamor City there are four casts of robot:

• Green Robots – Green robots are the lowest cast. They are cheap to buy and are capable of completing menial tasks. They cannot talk and are very limited in intelligence.
• Blue Robots – The second cast are the blue robots, capable of everything the greens can do but they are more intelligent. They can speak very basically with a vocabulary of less than 1000 words.
• Red Robots – The red robot cast are capable of everything that the green and blue casts can do but they have an advanced speech modulator. They are also very intelligent and physically stronger.
• Gold Robots – The best quality robots that are available from Eleder robotics. They cost an almost astronomical amount but they are intelligent, agile, and have perfect speech. They are programmed with every single word known to humanity. Gold robots are often used to control groups of robots from the other casts.

Kalamor city is dependant on its robots. They do everything from citywide maintenance to cooking in eateries. The security forces are much made up of robots, many of which guard the entrances to Old Kalamor, which will be covered later in the essay. Without robots Kalamor city would not be the success that it is.

Eleder Kalamor was shot dead by an assassins charge in 21405. He had no family, he had a wife once but she mysteriously vanished shortly after it came out that she’d had an affair. It’s never been discovered who she had the affair with. For three years Kalamor City was left ungoverned. The inevitable chaos was halted by the robots, which were programmed to make sure that no citywide violence could ever happen. This protocol has since been removed due to an attempted revolution that could have had a peaceful outcome resulted in death. It appeared that the protocol overruled the first robotic law that no robot must ever injure or kill a human. In 21408 a new administrator Gefern Klebb was elected. He remained in the post until 21447 when he died from a heart attack after a quadruple bypass operation failed. The robotic surgeon was dismantled. He was immediately replaced by Orson Lenamar who died recently in mysterious circumstances. The case has not yet been closed. The current administrator is Merredon Lopee. Lopee is a fair minded man and wants to return Kalamor city to the glory that it achieved when it was constructed over 150 years ago.

On of the great mysteries of Kalamor City is Old Kalamor. A section that was sealed off by Orson Lenamar in the year 21458. Even now thirty years later it is unknown why this section of the city was sealed off. It’s a subject that the people refuse to talk about. They fear to enter old Kalamor due to rumours such as robot death squads, my professional conclusion would be that there was some kind of gas leakage that was covered up by the administrative powers. No one has entered Old Kalamor ever since the closure and chances are that no one will enter it again for a very long time. All entrances are sealed off and its perimeter is surrounded by Gold class security robots.

In conclusion Kalamor city is a city full of enterprise and mystery. The slum areas are decreasing and nicer accommodation is been constructed. Crime levels are relatively low due to the success of the robotic security forces. There appears to be work for all the population and despite the disease in the slums the average health of it city is very high. More recently the city has begun to expand across the planet. It’s possible that one day the city will be the same size as Gelthuris which is a small planet.

Prof. E. Jackige
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

https://writingroom.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum