The Writers' Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things.

4 posters

Go down

Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things. Empty Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things.

Post  Johnstone McGuckian Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:36 am

If you ever see someone looking for written work then post a link here. Anything from short-film competitions to magazine pieces.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

https://writingroom.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things. Empty The Flannery O’Connor Award

Post  writingmum Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:44 am

I've just put together an anthology of 53,000 words and entered it into the Flannery O'Conner short story award. University of Georgia Press. Looks good.

http://www.ugapress.org/index.php/series/FOC

Also, if anyone wants any advice about competitions, I'm your girl. Been around the block a few times (in the nicest possible way).

writingmum
writingmum
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things. Empty Re: Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things.

Post  Sid Seadevil Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 am

writingmum wrote:I've just put together an anthology of 53,000 words and entered it into the Flannery O'Conner short story award. University of Georgia Press. Looks good.

http://www.ugapress.org/index.php/series/FOC

Also, if anyone wants any advice about competitions, I'm your girl. Been around the block a few times (in the nicest possible way).

Best of luck with the submission, mumsy. And the rest of you take note. Not only are competitions such as this potentially nice to win. They also offer tremendous practice and experience in honing your craft.

Don't dismiss their usefulness out out of hand.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things. Empty Re: Oppertunities, Competitions and Other Things.

Post  writingmum Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:22 am

Just found out the The Flannery O’Connor Award is for writers living in North America only. Boo Hoo!
Now I can't decided if I've just wasted my time putting it all together.

Just goes to show...read the rules first.

Embarassed
writingmum
writingmum
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Seadevil Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:28 am

No time has been wasted. You now have something filed and ready to be used when the opportunity arises. It's actually a win!
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Post  writingmum Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:31 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:No time has been wasted. You now have something filed and ready to be used when the opportunity arises. It's actually a win!

Good point. Maybe another contest will show up, but I told the admin there aren't many competitions for anthologies.
Oh, well. You're right...thank you. It's on file and edited to almost perfection.
writingmum
writingmum
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Seadevil Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:06 am

writingmum wrote:Good point. Maybe another contest will show up, but I told the admin there aren't many competitions for anthologies.
Oh, well. You're right...thank you. It's on file and edited to almost perfection.
You're welcome. Of course there are even more options you could consider once you're totally satisfied that the editing stage is finished.

Submitting individual stories from the anthology to various appropriate magazines for example. Or doing the same only this time entering each separately to any other competitions. Or if you're really, really feeling adventurous - you could always, you know, actually submit the anthology to either a publisher or seriously think about publishing it yourself through somewhere like Lulu, for example.

But only if you feel you're ready. You've been writing for what was it - 6 years now? So ask yourself this: after 6 years writing do you feel you're ready to seriously consider taking the plunge?
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Post  writingmum Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:37 am

Actually...I've won many competitions with my short stories. It's really how i got to understand the workings of them...Basic rule..always read the rules!!!
I've been published in three anthologies, but I thought I could collate the best of mine and form my own for this particular competition. Its no big deal I have moved on since this morning.
Onward and up they say. Smile
writingmum
writingmum
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnstone McGuckian Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 pm

I think I may give this a go.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

https://writingroom.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  writingmum Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 am

Johnstone McGuckian wrote:I think I may give this a go.

Looks good. Go for it. Good luck.
writingmum
writingmum
Novelist
Novelist

Back to top Go down

Post  El Stormio Wed May 04, 2011 8:14 am

I think I'll wait for Red Planet prize to be announced (sort of have a work in progress for that already!), do that, then try other competitions. Currently nothing for TV/Film scripts on BBC Writers Room!

I failed miserably with Laughing Stock/Sitcom Mission. Though I am crap at sitcom Embarassed
El Stormio
El Stormio
Just Starting
Just Starting

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down