The Writers' Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All these Comic Book movies.

+2
Johnstone McGuckian
Andrew Boslem
6 posters

Go down

All these Comic Book movies. Empty All these Comic Book movies.

Post  Andrew Boslem Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 am

So yeah, I saw Thor on Monday and loved it. And a quick glance at the summer release schedule will show you we have plenty more comic adaptations coming our way. What's everyone's opinions on this ocntuinued influx? And are ya looking forward to The Avengers flick?

Personaly I think Captain America looks like it's gonna be awesome (American patriotic bullshit aside), and X Men has always been a fascinating mythos. As for Green Lantern...meh.

Andrew Boslem
Andrew Boslem
Ginger Admin
Ginger Admin

Back to top Go down

All these Comic Book movies. Empty Re: All these Comic Book movies.

Post  Johnstone McGuckian Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:13 am

I've never been particularly impressed with comic book films, Marval especially. I always feel let down, I think it's because they lose their comicy charm.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

https://writingroom.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura J Curtis Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 am

Johnstone McGuckian wrote:I've never been particularly impressed with comic book films, Marval especially. I always feel let down, I think it's because they lose their comicy charm.

I do enjoy comic inspired movies but I have to agree, they just come out as ordinary movies. My favourite comic inspired films have to be Scott Pilgrim and Kick Ass, purely because I loved the comic feel of them.
Laura J Curtis
Laura J Curtis
Just Starting
Just Starting

http://adequateisenberg.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnstone McGuckian Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:28 am

Laura J Curtis wrote:
Johnstone McGuckian wrote:I've never been particularly impressed with comic book films, Marval especially. I always feel let down, I think it's because they lose their comicy charm.

I do enjoy comic inspired movies but I have to agree, they just come out as ordinary movies. My favourite comic inspired films have to be Scott Pilgrim and Kick Ass, purely because I loved the comic feel of them.

Not seen Scott Pilgrim yet. I did love Kick Ass though because it's a self aware comic film. The problem with Spiderman, Xmen and so on is that you know it's going to end in a mostly CGI fight in which the hero wins.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

https://writingroom.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Boslem Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:15 am

Scott Pilgrim and Kick Ass are both amazing films but in my opinion the only reason they got away with being "cartoony" is because they were self-aware comedies. Ang Lee tried to make his Hulk movie cartoony with his split screens and jump cuts and it just ended up looking silly.

As for CGI, I don't mind it as long as it's used for good reason. Thor required two entirely new planets to be created, and Branaugh wanted to do sweeping landscape shots of cities etc. on the planet. Not possible without CGI. As for the fights, well it's a story about Norse Gods waging war on each other. If there wasn't some epic CGI set pieces I'd be dissapointed.
And a little FYI, the CGI in Thor is AMAZING. Like, genuinely feels like a real life object good.
Andrew Boslem
Andrew Boslem
Ginger Admin
Ginger Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake Humphries Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 am

Saw Thor today and was suitably impressed. Plumped for the 2D edition, no need for needless expenditures on pointless gimmicks.

There are way too many comic book films about at the moment. As enjoyable as Thor was I can't imagine there was a particular demand for it other than from its hardcore fan base. The world could've happily carried on without that film and I'm sure Europe, South America, Asia etc can live without Captain America. I hope both films flop hard. The Avengers seems like the most pointless film ever conceived. Taking a money making franchise like Iron Man and possibly Thor and Captain America and diluting them by adding them all into a film together, I just don't see the point. Not like gross for The Avengers is going to dwarf the takings for Iron Man. If they insist on doing it then they'd be better off keeping the more popular characters in their own films and making an abridged Avengers movie with a character like The Hulk, who hasn't really been able to carry his own films, and several lesser known Avengers. That way if its a success they can then give those secondary characters their own films in the future and they could then go on and become additional franchises for the studio. As it stand I just don't see how a film with all of those characters will work. Iron Man 2 was dog poo after all.

Jake Humphries
Just Starting
Just Starting

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Boslem Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:34 am

I think it's a great idea myself and Marvel seem to be on top of it. They're finiding logical places for minor characters to make cameos in each major characters movie, the storyline's all make sense. I have faith in the project. On a money level, something tells me it's gonna get hyped up the arse, and regardless of quality the force of advertising alone will make it profit.

Andrew Boslem
Andrew Boslem
Ginger Admin
Ginger Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Bloxham Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 am

right Scott Pilgrim is one of the greatest comics made film i have ever seen and aside from Batman most DC comic films have felt like a let down so im hoping Ryan Reynolds can make it great. Marvel comics films have always been better to me. xmen not so much and spiderman ruined it after the second one and thats being nice. Iron Man is fantastic, The Hulk remake was ok, cant wait to see Thor, Captain America will be ace and the whole Avengers thing makes me have a nerdgasm.
Cameron Bloxham
Cameron Bloxham
Fountain Pen
Fountain Pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Chazzman Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Jake Humphries wrote:Saw Thor today and was suitably impressed. Plumped for the 2D edition, no need for needless expenditures on pointless gimmicks.

There are way too many comic book films about at the moment. As enjoyable as Thor was I can't imagine there was a particular demand for it other than from its hardcore fan base. The world could've happily carried on without that film and I'm sure Europe, South America, Asia etc can live without Captain America. I hope both films flop hard. The Avengers seems like the most pointless film ever conceived. Taking a money making franchise like Iron Man and possibly Thor and Captain America and diluting them by adding them all into a film together, I just don't see the point. Not like gross for The Avengers is going to dwarf the takings for Iron Man. If they insist on doing it then they'd be better off keeping the more popular characters in their own films and making an abridged Avengers movie with a character like The Hulk, who hasn't really been able to carry his own films, and several lesser known Avengers. That way if its a success they can then give those secondary characters their own films in the future and they could then go on and become additional franchises for the studio. As it stand I just don't see how a film with all of those characters will work. Iron Man 2 was dog poo after all.

Iron man 2 was a good film, it worked quite well, and as for the Avengers movie, the entire reason they are doing it is because of the comic books, and as you said about putting the hulk in it, he's going to be the villain, and none of the lesser known Avengers would have the power to stop him, even the better known Avengers like Thor, Iron Man and Captain America have a hard time of it, and that's the point.
Chazzman
Chazzman
Frustrated Admin
Frustrated Admin

http://aworkinprogress.wikia.com/wiki/Vampires_Universe_Wiki

Back to top Go down

Post  Chazzman Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Cameron Bloxham wrote:right Scott Pilgrim is one of the greatest comics made film i have ever seen and aside from Batman most DC comic films have felt like a let down so im hoping Ryan Reynolds can make it great. Marvel comics films have always been better to me. xmen not so much and spiderman ruined it after the second one and thats being nice. Iron Man is fantastic, The Hulk remake was ok, cant wait to see Thor, Captain America will be ace and the whole Avengers thing makes me have a nerdgasm.
Agreed.
Chazzman
Chazzman
Frustrated Admin
Frustrated Admin

http://aworkinprogress.wikia.com/wiki/Vampires_Universe_Wiki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down